Friday, March 2, 2012

Explaining Social Media

Today, for the second time, I've had the opportunity to explain the value of Facebook to a prospective client. It goes like this; Facebook is better than email and better than a website, because people can ignore your email and may not ever find your website. But if they are on Facebook (and that is the key ingredient), they can befriend you, or like your content, and that is where the value is.

Your website may never change, your emails may be never be opened, or they may be summarily dismissed. But, on Facebook, if someone is already your friend, or if somebody "Likes" something you've posted to your Facebook page, people will know about it. They will be notified by the system that you've added something new that may be of interest. After all, you are their friend, right?

As I said in a recent Facebook post, the value of being on Facebook and the value of the content you add to your pages there, comes from the other people on Facebook. There is no comparison I can make to the value of your email or your website. Nobody will know you've updated your website. There is no guarantee that anyone will open your email and take action. But, if you have friends on Facebook, or somebody likes your latest post to your Facebook page, you have instant notoriety.

This is the end. If you need further convincing of the value of being on Facebook, call me, email me, go to my website, find me on Facebook, or follow me on Twitter, and I will see you in person, to do a demonstration of how this stuff works.

This is yet another blog post. I'm still working on getting all of my blogs assembled in one place, so I'll know that the pearls of wisdom I provide here will be available everywhere you may find me.

Have a pleasant evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment